Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Japanese LRJ# 1

Chue Meng Vang
Ms. Peifer
English 10 IB
April 22, 2009
Tanka LRJ
"I Waited and I" by Princess Nukada
The assonance in this poem is in line 3. "My blind"(Nukada, 3) This assonance adds a more meaning into what Nukada means by "My blind". That also adds to the entire poem by increasing the meaning of the poem. The theme of the poem is waiting. Nukada is waiting for someone and it is probably her love because the poem has a waiting dearly tone in it.
"The End of my Journey" by Oshikochi Mitsune
" I stood, my mind floating"(Mitsune, 5) The assonance gives an prepare for action feeling because right after the assonance an action word is placed there. This helps with the flow of the poem. The theme in this poem is last moments. The poem sums up the last moments of Mitsune's journey.
"Now I Cannot Tell" by Ki Tsurayuki
"In this place I used to know"(Tsurayuki, 4) The assonance of this poem focuses the reader's mind on the line its on. This line is probably the turning point of the poem. The theme of this poem is change. There is change and the author can no longer identify what he used to know.
"How Helpless My Heart!" by Ono Komachi
"Were the stream to tempt,
My body, like a reed"(Komachi, 2-3) The assonance atracts the reader in the beginning of the poem. the theme is deeath. The theme of death in this poem is put into terms of nature. this adds a kind of elegance to the theme.
"Every Single Thing" by Priest Saigyo
"Changes and is changing"(Saigyo, 2)
"Yet with the same light"(Saigyo, 4) The assonance doesn't have too much of the same affect compared to the other poems because the assonance is more spread out. The theme in this is while things change, some things remain the same. As the world changes the moonlight stays the same.
Death's Vision
Black and white flash
the past flashes with speed
The colors faded
In a split final second
Happieness and love are gone.

1 comment:

Anna said...

When you discuss the assonance in the poem, use the textual evidence to explain exactly how assonance adds more (or a deeper) meaning to the poem. The tanka you wrote is very creative. I like the contrast of color emotions.